Course Features and Placenames
Mounds such as those on the 3rd hole were originally MacKenzie bunkers and had a section of sand on the tee side of the mounds. The cross bunkers on the 3rd hole were placed 80 and 90 yards from the tee. Other mounds can be seen adjacent to the present 14th and 18th greens.
Guileen known locally as an area of water to the right of the 3rd fairway.
Bridle Path used by horses accessing the field to the right of the 3rd tee, there was a free drop off the bridle path up until March 2019.
Bridle Path covered in snow used by horses accessing the field to the right of the 3rd tee, there was a free drop off the bridle path up until March 2019.
Bridle Path. Horses would be walked or ridden along that path in days gone by. The photo above is from around the 8th tee during its construction using the Bridal path.
Lime Kiln at the start of the 5th fairway is one of three Kilns on Little Island, all located on the riverbank. The lime was used for mortar and land improvements.
Shufflers to the right of the 5th fairway. In the early days, the grass was long in the dips in the ground making it necessary to shuffle in order to try and find your golf ball.
The Quays on the right of the 5th Hole was built to allow boats transport the limestone extracted from the quarries. Old paths leading to the quays are still visible on the course if you look carefully.
Spion Kop at the 6th hole is called after a rocky hill in South Africa, the site of a battle during the Second Boer War on the 24th January 1890. It was the caddies lookout point when caddies were a regular feature at Cork Golf Club.
Crusher to the right of the 8th fairway where stone was crushed and used for road repair/construction.
Tar Plant on the right of the 8th fairway adjacent to the crusher. The tar was used for road repair/construction.
Magazine to the right of the 11th fairway was used to store explosives for quarrying. The powder was brought from Ballincollig via river and road. It was also known as the powder house.
The Spanish Chestnut tree marks the Seve Ballesteros drive on the 11th hole during his visit to Cork GC on 15th August 1983. Seve birdied the hole and went on to shoot a bogey-free four under par 68.
Marble Quarry at the 13th Hole, marble rock extends in a south-west direction in front of the second tees (white/green markers).
Marble Quarry: Here is some of the unpolished marble. Many of the stones around the quarry still show traces of the Red Marble which was quarried there.
MacKenzie bunkers one of two bunkers guarding the entrance to the old 13th green, only the left-hand bunker has survived and it is to the right of today’s 13th green. It wasn’t fully filled in and the size of the sand area is clearly visible today.
Forest of Argonne right of 14th fairway and including the present-day car park. Named after the Battle of Argonne, the forest was part of what became known as the Mesuse–Argonne Offensive, last battle of World War I in September 1918.
Old Sand Bunkers Cross bunkers on the 15th fairway were MacKenzie bunkers and were 100yds from the tee.
Council to the right of the 17th fairway and underneath the 16th Blue tee was used by Cork County Council for storage of equipment and road building materials in the early 1900s.